Wednesday, August 3, 2011

“I AM RESPONSIBLE”


Three Potent Words

By Paul Andrew is Founder of The Leadership Coach™
 
 Three words in Rudy Giuliani’s book titled “Leadership” had a lasting impact on my life. 

 In it he explained the essence of his philosophy on leadership as he reflected on leading New York City as its Mayor through both triumph and tragedy, including the attacks on the World Trade Center. On his desk throughout his time as Mayor sat a sign with just three potent words:

“I AM RESPONSIBLE”

 It strikes me that many of us could use a reminder like that sitting on our desks.

 How do you lead a city like NYC and at the same time hold yourself to such a tough standard? Does “I am responsible” mean that I’m to blame for everything that goes wrong?

 In the aftermath of terrorist attacks when many were pointing fingers, Giuliani focused instead on taking responsibility for the needs at hand. In fact throughout his tenure as Mayor he led a reversal of the city’s crime record with a myriad of seemingly small actions that worked together to achieve change on a massive scale.

 Something in all of us prefers to resist responsibility and focus instead of what’s outside of our control. But the true leader doesn’t waste energy and precious time fixating on issues they can’t address. Instead they take action. They step up and do what they can.

 Living those three potent words – I am responsible – means knowing that although it’s not only up to you… keeping focused on your own responsibility is the surest way to live to your real potential.

So be your own leadership coach for a moment and ask…

 * To what extent am I allowing myself to be distracted by issues or others, rather than focusing on my own part to play?

 * If I was to take 100% responsibility for this… what would I do differently?

 * What action can I take TODAY to begin to address a situation that’s important to me?

 Your time starts… now.

I’d love to hear from you. Feel free to share this article with your networks.
Join ‘TheChampsMind’ family by following this blog on Google Connect. Follow me On Twitter @ www.twitter.com/DalizuKingand/Or on Facebook @www.facebook.com/dalizu
 

No comments:

Post a Comment